Primary Residence Improvements Before Retirement
Before you retire, it’s a good idea to look around your primary residence. Are there any improvements or efficiencies that you can implement now? Look for big-ticket items that might hit you in the next few years. For example:
- How’s the roof? Siding? Gutters?
- Any remodel projects you’ve put off?
- Driveway in good condition?
- Windows in good condition?
- Furnace in good shape? Energy-efficient?
- Water tank – consider a tankless water system.
- Any property drainage issues?
The bottom line is to create a checklist of potential big-ticket items to plan for so they won’t blindside you while you’re on a fixed income in retirement.